Thursday, August 30, 2012

                                                           VS          





Battle of the Mops!!


Mopping.  No one I knows favorite job.  But we have to do it.  Otherwise our floors would become .... well.....dirt!  I have had so many people ask me which I preferred a good old fashioned string mop with bucket of water or the new fangled swiffer type mops.  

I have to tell you, up until recently I was a strict fan of the string mop.  I found my self changing the water a ridiculous amount of times for every room but otherwise I'd have dirty water and that just won't do.  Then one day I happened up on a swifter type mop, you know the ones with the wet nap on them. I tried it but found that the effect was less than satisfactory for me and so it became a resident of the broom closet.  

Now I'm gonna tell you a little story about an overworked cleaning lady and her forgetful self.  

I was on my way to work at a client's home.  I had had a morning that I wouldn't wish on an enemy!  Nothing went right, every time the phone rang it was someone else wanting me to do something and I just couldn't make happen.  My schedule was fouled up due to my having to be out of work with illness and I wasn't about to ask my client to postpone yet again.  
I'd finally gotten out of the house, van loaded, ipod playing in the background I was half way to my 1st client of the day's home.  Then my cell phone rang........I looked at the name and saw it was my daughter.  I pulled over and returned the call thinking she needed lunch money or something.  NO......she wanted to know why I'd left a large part of my supplies sitting on the carport!  ARGH!!!  Just another perfect addition to my morning!  I got out and walked back to the rear of the van and sure enough, my mop, bucket, broom AND my vacuum were AWOL!! 

Okay, do I go back or go on???  

I went on.  I knew my client had a broom and vacuum, I wasn't sure about the mop though.  When I got to her home I told her about my lack of supplies and she indeed had a broom and vacuum, just no mop.  She did however have a Swiffer mop.  I told her I'd make it work.  So, after I finished all the other chores, I looked at that little mop....what am I gonna do I'm thinking.  I looked at the mop and then at my basket of terry cloths..... hummmmm......the wheels were turning.  

At home I use the swiffer for alot of things that they never intended I'm sure for me to do, and I was on my way to yet another use for this little mop.  I had (it is now deceased) a steam mop at one time.  They have terry cloth pads..... why not use the terry cloths I had in the same way??  

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!  I surely didn't invent the swiffer mop but I sure used it in a much better way!  

I filled a spray bottle with cleaner ( I use vinegar on most all floor surfaces) sprayed a small area and mopped away.  WALA!  No dirty mop bucket smelling up my van, no stale smelling string mop hanging around.  No more putting my hands in yucky dirty water to whring out a string mop.  I went over the floor once with the vinegar and then once with clear water.  The cloths tell you when to change and you can see just how clean the floor is becoming!  I love it!  

Now I know that there are those that will not find this a great idea, but to me it is one of my best!  I have a large amount of white terry's and my little swiffer is now a faithful employee.  I got's the best of both worlds!  

The only drawback I have found is that the swiffer mop comes in sections instead of one long piece of handle, making the handle less stable and eventually it will break, but I can work with it!  I took some pretty purple Duct Tape (Duct Tape is my friend!) and make my handle more stable and pretty to look at too.

So, try this method...you just might find you no longer need that old smelly string mop!

Go out and make this day yours and All for His Glory!

Blessings ~ Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment