Thursday, October 8, 2009

A rock, a ripple and.......


David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die. 14 Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the LORD, the child who is born to you shall die." 15 Then Nathan went to his house. ESV 2 Samuel 12: 13-15

While speaking with someone recently I was told about a situation within a study group they had once attended. There was an individual that dominated the group setting, bringing the study itself to a halt and terminally damaging the group so that it finally fizzled out. No one wanted to attend and listen to the ranting and ill will expressed by the individual. Even after the individual left the group, the damage was done, the typical human desire to avoid bad memories meant that the group decreased in size until there was only the group leader left. The sin of that one person, affected many lives.

It is like throwing a rock into a still pool and watching as the ripples move outward. Those ripples will continue until they meet the immovable force of the shore.

Look at the story of King David and Bathsheba. David, a "man after God's own heart", known to be a good king and protector, saw the beautiful Bathsheba and was immediately guilty of the sin of covetousness. That one sin led to many others and finally resulted in the death of an innocent man and child. How many soldiers died so that David could execute his scheme to get rid of Uriah so that David could have his wife for his own? We'll never know. Rock....ripple....tsunami.

I've heard, and yes in my own ignorance said, "It's my body, life, whatever, it's not hurting anyone but me". What a foolish statement that. There is no action that does not have a reaction. Forgive me if I combine science and theology here, but seems as if I've heard somewhere that, "for every action there is an equal opposite reaction". Some guy named Newton I think it was.


So my question for you Beloved is: How are you affecting others in the pool called life? Is a good introspective meditation called for? Rethinking, remembering, and righting wrongs? Suggested reading here would be Psalm 51. Read it, claim it, allow God to forgive and heal you.

I did and I thank God everyday for it.

God Speed ~
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment